Monday, October 18, 2010

From the Kitchen: Honey Oatmeal Sandwich Bread

This recipe comes from my very own wonderful mom... I have no idea where she got it, but it's fantastic. Soft, moist... perfect for cutting into thinner sandwich-style slices when completely cool. My PB&J for lunch was perfect with some black raspberry jam from a local farm market... mmm... so good. All I need now is another loaf!


Honey Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
Makes one 1.5 lb loaf

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tsp yeast
3 cups white bread flour
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
1 egg
1 cup water

Directions:

Use the regular or express setting for white bread following the directions of your bread machine. If you are given the option, select 1.5 lb loaf size and light or medium crust color. Alternatively, make dough using the dough cycle and bake in a traditional bread pan in your oven.


No matter how you make it, it'll be tasty! So go bake some!

4 comments:

Carol said...

Back in the day when I also used to make my own bread I had a similar recipe called Best Bread. It used a little less oatmeal which you presoaked in the water (boiling), used butter instead of oil, a little bit more salt, and surprisingly did not call for an egg. It made the moistest, tastiest bread, and my favorite sandwich was peanut butter and black raspberry jelly (homemade). I have always had better results baking it in the oven rather than the bread machine and the nicest crust was from using the disposable aluminum foil loaf pans.

sewfearless.com said...

drool.

Tori said...

This turned out very good! Nice, sweet and textured - almost like a Hawaiian bread in flavor and the aroma was heavenly while baking - Yum! Thanks for the recipe!

Karen said...

I'm so flattered someone made this recipe and then commented!!! Awesome! Tori, you made my day :)